Clatskanie Auto Collision Highlights Animal v. Car Hazards
The Daily Astorian recently reported on the multi-car collision in Clatskanie that sent one driver to the hospital in critical condition. The collision may have been caused by a motorist who was swerving to miss a deer. The Oregon State Police issued a press statement giving motorists tips on dealing with animals in the road:
• Stay Alert. Avoid driving with other distractions.
• Slow Down to increase your reaction time.
• Scan Ahead and watch for movement along roadsides.
• Look for more animals after you see one animal - they often travel in groups.
• Brake. Don'ts Swerve.
• Be ready for animals to change direction.
• Be watchful and obey traffic signs, including wildlife warning and speed limit signs.
• Watch for shining eyes.
• Use high beams to improve visibility when there's no oncoming traffic.
• Slow down on blind curves.
• Pass with care.
If you hit an animal:
• If you cannot stop in time, it is usually safer to hit the animal than to swerve. Swerving may land you in the path of another car or off the road in a ditch.
• Pull over and call the Oregon State Police or 9-1-1 to report the accident.